General Boat and PWC Licences

Welcome to Bunjalung country, Yumbalehla – where the spirit of the land meets the spirit of the sea.




COMS Maritime Trainers and Assessors are now offering NSW General  Boat and PWC ( jet ski ) licencing in the Northern NSW region.

Our experienced and qualified trainers will ensure you have a fun day out on the water. The boat licence course is designed for both the experienced and the newcomer so everyone is catered for.

For our next course, the theory component of the boat licence course will take place in the 42 South Beach Road, Brunswick Heads, NSW 2483

Google Maps


For the practical components

You will board our 6.5m Noidic Rib vessel or our 3.8 Arancia IRB ex- SLSC Rescue vessel

This is where you will put your classroom training into practice, whilst continuing to learn and develop your new boating skills with confidence under supervision from one of our experienced trainers.

Practicals will take place on the smooth and calm waters of the Tweed River, Brunswick River, Richmond River situated in the beautiful Northern Rivers district of New South Wales.

If you are seeking further practical training, you can book a session/s with one of our experienced trainers, either one on one or small group.

The Tweed River sits on the south eastern foothills of the McPherson Range in the Tweed Volcano valley so your surroundings are truly beautiful.

Practical locations may change or vary depending on weather and wind conditions.

jet ski, beach, sea

In Queensland PWC licensing has a practical component which is mandatory for a student’s competency.

COMS Marine Trainers and Assessors will be able to offer after course training packages on PWC’s for students who would like to be instructed by an expert who will share all the tricks and tips!

This will prepare the student for a more safe and enjoyable time on the water.

This is highly recommended for new comers to our waterways.

We also offer further practical training on boats,   on our vessel  or yours.

Our Trainers and Assessors

Phil is the founder of COMS, College of Marine Studies. Phil is a qualified Marine Surveyor and Shipwright by trade and commercial skipper with over 46 years of marine industry experience.

Phil has his own range of boats that he designs and builds.

Phil has expertise in timber and composite construction.

Phil is a wealth of knowledge over many disciplines in the marine sector and is a qualified trainer and assessor who has been teaching RMDL and PWC licenses in Queensland for over 8 years.

Paul is a Master 5 Skipper, has a keen interest in diving and worked on many commercial vessels for decades. Paul is a volunteer at Marine Rescue Currumbin. Paul has a calming effect and is very patient with students.

M J ( Mary Jane ) has been boating for over 40 years.

She is a commercial skipper and has worked as a Trainer and Assessor in the marine industry in Queensland for over 6 years.

MJ has operated a commercial boat and business on the Gold Coast

MJ is a volunteer Inshore Skipper with Marine Rescue Southport and is focused on safe enjoyable boating.

MJ is kind and has a great way of explaining things.

In NSW, when operating a powered vessel capable of travelling at speeds over 10 knots, you are required to hold a NSW boat licence. Canberra residents who use NSW waterways also need a NSW boat licence. You also require practical training and experience prior to undertaking the NSW Boat Licence test.

Our one day boat licence courses provide all the training and testing you need to get your boat licence . We also give you a great day out on the water as well. Grab your mates and book as a group.

Whether you’re a complete beginner or have boat experience already, our boat licence course will provide you with invaluable information and give you the knowledge, testing and practical experience required to get your  licence and enjoy you boating safely.


Eligibility –

Check if you’re eligible.

To get a boat licence, you must: • be aged 12 or over • meet the practical experience requirements • pass the General Boat Licence Knowledge Test • declare any medical condition or physical disability that could affect your driving • meet eyesight standards.


Do I get my boat license on the day?

At the end of the course you get your completed application form. The form can be taken into a Roads and Maritime Office (formally known as NSW Maritime and RTA) or Service NSW or you can post it in to Roads and Maritime Services NSW.

Additional Course Information

  • Bring your own lunch
  • Bring a hat, sunscreen, and a bottle of water for the practical component on the water.
  • Rain or shine. Wet weather gear if you have it.

Covid 19 update. 


Brunswick Heads Community Centre is open and all essential services and programs are  operational, however the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, clients and community will continue to be our main priority.

Please do not visit the center if you:

  • Have recently travelled in the last 14 days
  • Have been in contact with a person who has travelled in the last 14 days.
  • Are unwell or experiencing flu-like symptoms